Asparagus and Aged Cheddar Tart
Recipe developed by Chef Jonathan Collins
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 bunch of fresh Ontario Asparagus 2/3 of a bunch
- 2 Garlic cloves peeled and fine diced
- 1 lemon zested
- 4 Large Ontario eggs
- 100 mL whipping cream 35%
- 200 grams aged cheddar cheese shredded
- Unbleached all-purpose flour as needed for rolling
- Flaked sea salt to taste
- Black ground pepper to taste
- Position rack in center of oven. Preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour, roll out pastry to a uniform thickness in desired shape. Roll pastry loosely onto the rolling pin to transfer onto pie or tart pan by gently unrolling.
- Press pastry into bottom and sides thoroughly, trim excess pastry, perforate pastry using fork on bottom and sides.
- Line pastry with parchment, cover evenly with baking beans, place in the oven to blind bake for 10 mins.
- Lift out the parchment and baking beans, return to the oven for an additional 10 mins until light golden brown.
- Preheat a heavy- bottom sauté pan over medium- high, add butter, olive oil, Ontario asparagus, garlic and lemon zest.
- Sauté asparagus until slightly coloured and fragrant, remove and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine eggs, cream and cheddar, whisk until combined, season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the asparagus in the pastry, pour egg mixture evenly over top.
- Bake the tart for 15- 20 mins or until firm and golden, cool slightly before slicing.