Recipe Developed by Yelim Jo Lee, Culinary Student from Toronto Liason College
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt divided
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter chilled and diced
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 lb Ontario asparagus washed, trimmed, and diced
- 1/4 cup sliced leek white part only
- 2 cloves roasted garlic chopped
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- Melted butter for brushing
- Optional: sunny side up eggs, grilled asparagus, Hollandaise sauce
- Preheat oven at 425°F (220°C) and prepare a parchment lined baking tray.
- In a large stainless bowl add flour, salt, pepper and baking powder. Cut in cold butter until it forms coarse crumbs the size of small peas. Stir in milk until just combined.
- While in the bowl, gently fold in asparagus, leeks, roasted garlic and lemon zest. Dust the table with flour and take the dough out from the bowl and knead for 1 minute.
- Use your hand to flatten the dough to 1-inch thickness. Then wrap the dough and rest in the fridge for 5 minutes.
- Lightly dust a 2 3/4 inch round cookie cutter and cut out 10 biscuits. Gently rework the dough if needed.
- Place biscuits of the baking tray and brush with melted butter. Bake for 15 minutes. Enjoy warm with your choice of toppings!
Servings: 10 biscuits Source: asparagus.on.ca