Recipe developed by Javier Salerno, Culinary Student from Oakville Liason College
- 4 cups diced Yukon gold yellow potato
- 1/2 lb Ontario asparagus washed and trimmed
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro divided
- 1 tbsp parsley divided
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 Ontario Greenhouse Grown yellow pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
Pico de Gallo:
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 tsp each salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp chopped parsley
- In a large pot, cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Turn to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium sized pot bring water to a boil. Stir in asparagus and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and place asparagus in a bowl of ice cold water.
- Cut asparagus heads off of the spears and save for Pico de Gallo.
- Place asparagus stems in the food processor with oil, lime juice, lemon juice, cilantro, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Mash and blend the asparagus mixture together with potatoes. Allow to cool.
- Place the yellow pepper in boiling water for 2 minutes; remove from water.
- Place in the food processor with mayonnaise, sriracha, salt, and pepper. Mix with shredded chicken.
Pico de Gallo:
- In a small bowl, stir together tomato, red onion, salt, pepper lime juice, parsley, cilantro and asparagus heads.
- Place a ring mold on the plate, layer 1/2 cup asparagus mashed potato on the bottom, 1/2 cup chicken mix and another 1/2 cup of the mash.
- Remove mold, garnish with pico de gallo. Repeat process to make 4 causas.
Serves: 4 Source: asparagus.on.ca