Asparagus Mint Twist Salad
Recipe Developed by Dayshona Montour, Culinary Student from Hamilton Liason College
- 2 lbs Ontario asparagus washed and trimmed
- 1 large carrot washed and peeled
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp white corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Remove asparagus heads and blanch them in boiling water for 3 minutes or until tender.
- Drain and place in ice water until cool. Remove from water and pat dry. Reserve for later use.
- Shave the asparagus spears into thin ribbons using a peeler. They should look like wide thin noodle.
- Repeat ribbon process with the carrot.
- In a small bowl whisk together lemon juice, sesame oil, white corn syrup, salt and pepper, mint and parsley. Mix and let sit aside for herbs to infuse.
- In a large bowl, mix together asparagus ribbons, carrot ribbons and dressing. Add dressing 1 tsp (5 mL) at a time until desired flavour is reached.
- Season asparagus heads with salt and pepper to taste and use as a garnish.
Servings: 4 side salads Source: asparagus.on.ca