Recipe Developed by Sanri Coetzee, Culinary Student from Oakville Liason College
- 1/2 lb Ontario asparagus
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter divided
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1/2 cup shredded white cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 4 Ontario eggs separated
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Butter 4 ramekins with 1 tbsp (15 mL) butter and set aside.
- Cook asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain and place asparagus in a bowl of ice cold water until cool. Remove from water and pat dry.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk milk into roux and cook until thick, around 3 minutes. Add cheese and melt in hot mixture.
- Whisk in salt and cayenne pepper, remove from heat.
- Place milk mixture, garlic and asparagus in blender and Purée until smooth.
- Pour asparagus mix into bowl and stir in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into asparagus mixture. Fill ramekins with mixture, about 3/4 full and bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 min.
- Serve soufflé fresh out of the oven.
Servings: 4 Source: asparagus.on.ca