Cedar Smoked Asparagus Soup
Recipe by Dayna McIssac
- 1 Lb Fresh Ontario Asparagus 20-25 medium sized stalks, trimmed
- 1 tsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil divided
- 2 Leeks white and light green parts only, washed well and finely sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Medium Yukon Gold or Russet Potato peeled and diced
- 4 Cup Stock Chicken or Vegetable
- ½ teaspoon Sea Salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons Lemon Juice or to taste (optional)
- Submerge a food safe cedar plank in water anywhere from 20 minutes to 4 hours, depending on the thickness of the wood and the amount of time you have.
- Preheat the barbeque grill over a medium high heat.
- Wash and trim asparagus, place in a bowl and drizzle over balsamic vinegar and 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Place the asparagus on the cedar plank on the barbecue. Reduce the heat to medium and close the lid.
- Grill for about 10 – 15 minutes, checking intermittently until tender. Have a glass of water or spray bottle handy to extinguish any possible flames along the cedar plank.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large stockpot to medium, add the leeks and garlic sautéing until soft and translucent but not browned; about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Add the diced potato and cover with the stock.
- Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are softened.
- Remove the best spear tips from the cooked asparagus and reserve for garnish.
- Roughly chop the remaining smoky asparagus, add to the simmering soup. Continue for another 3 – 5 minutes to cook.
- Add the diced potato and cover with the stock. Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are softened.
- Remove the best spear tips from the cooked asparagus and reserve for garnish. Roughly chop the remaining smoky asparagus, add to the simmering soup. Continue for another 3 – 5 minutes to cook through to merge flavours.
- Transfer soup to a food processor or using an immersion blender, combine until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt. Stir in lemon juice.
- Top each serving with reserved asparagus tips and drizzle over extra virgin olive oil.