Cream of Asparagus and Bacon Soup
Recipe developed by Lisa Grieco, Culinary Student from Oakville Liason College
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lbs Ontario asparagus washed and trimmed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 Yukon gold potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese rind
- 1 glove garlic
- 1 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 cup whipping cream 35%
- 1/2 cup Creme Fraiche
- 3 slices cooked crispy bacon crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- On a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle olive oil over asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Roast asparagus for 15 minutes.
- In a large soup pot heat oil. Stir in potatoes, onions, celery, Parmesan cheese rind, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes until slightly browned.
- Stir in chicken broth and 3/4 of the roasted asparagus (save the rest for garnish), increase heat and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and continue cooking until vegetables and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a submersion blender, blend until smooth. Stir in cream.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon, sliced asparagus and creme fraiche. Serve with garlic French bread if desired.
Serves: 6 Source: asparagus.on.ca