Grilled Asparagus Corn Cakes
Recipe by Dayna McIssac
- 1 Cup Fresh Ontario Asparagus grilled and finely diced
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 Strips Bacon divided
- 1 Cup Cornmeal finely ground
- ½ Cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ tsp Baking Powder
- ¾ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/8 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Large Egg
- ½ Cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 Green Onion diced
- Sunflower Grapeseed or Canola Oil for frying
- Sour Cream for serving
- Clean the asparagus, snap woody ends, drizzle over olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat the grill to medium.
- Add asparagus, flip after 3-4 minutes and grill the other side, moving any skinny spears to the top rack as necessary.
- Cool and remove the asparagus tips and reserve. Finely dice the stalks.
- Fry the bacon over medium heat, turning regularly until crisp, about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove, cool and finely dice the bacon. Reserve the drippings.
- In a large bowl, combine the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, garlic powder and cayenne pepper.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the milk and egg together. To it, add the crumbled feta, half of the diced bacon, 2 tablespoons of the bacon drippings, the green onion, and the diced asparagus.
- Combine the wet mixture to the dry and stir well, leaving no dry clumps.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium. Add half of the remaining bacon drippings back to the pan and enough oil to thinly cover the bottom of the pan.
- Gently drop the mixture by tablespoons onto the hot oil.
- Cook each side for about 2-3 minutes, or until golden and firm. Set on paper towels to absorb any excess grease.
- Repeat with more bacon drippings and oil for the next batch of batter.
- Serve corn cakes with a dollop of sour cream, a reserved asparagus tip and the remaining crumbled bacon, if desired.
Source: asparagus.on.ca Makes approximately 18 corn cakes.