Grilled Asparagus Pizza
Recipe by Dayna McIssac
- 1 Lb Fresh Ontario Asparagus
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pizza Dough homemade or store bought
- Pesto homemade or store bought
- 3 Garlic Cloves thinly sliced
- ½ Cup Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- Clean and trim the asparagus. Toss with 1 Tablespoon of olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat the barbecue to medium and close the lid to retain the heat.
- Add trimmed, oiled asparagus to the grill and turn after 3-4 minutes, watching carefully not to burn the tips. Cook for about 5-8 minutes, moving the more slender spears to the top rack as they become tender.
- Cut the pizza dough in half. Shape and stretch the dough to make two, 10-12′′ pizzas.
- Drizzle over about 1 Tablespoon of olive oil per side and rub in evenly to coat. Lay the greased pizza dough onto the pre-heated grill. Cook for about 3 minutes and flip once the underside has grill marks and is golden and firm.
- Cook the other side for 3-4 minutes then turn over again to dress your pizza.
- Evenly spread pesto, then dot with a few slices of slivered garlic, ricotta cheese. Layer the asparagus and sprinkle over shredded mozzarella.
- Close the lid on the grill and heat the pizza to thoroughly melt the cheeses; about 2-3 minutes more.
- Remove from the grill to a cutting board. Top with parmesan shavings and fresh basil leaves, if desired.