Grilled Asparagus with Pecorino and Poached Eggs
Recipe developed by Chef Jonathan Collins
- 2 ½ tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil divided
- 28 pc Ontario Fresh Asparagus rinsed and trimmed
- 4 Large Ontario Eggs
- 1 pc Lemon rinsed, zested, and juiced
- Pecorino Cheese finely grated or peeled as needed
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Preheat a heavy-bottom grill pan or char-broiler over medium-high, season grill with ½ tbsp olive oil.
- Toss asparagus in remaining 2 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper to taste. Grill until slightly tender and lightly charred. This is fast, but varies depending on the thickness of your asparagus.
- Bring a medium pan of water to boil, season with salt, reduce to simmer, stir water into a slight vortex.
- Gently crack eggs into water, poach until desired doneness, use slotted spoon to remove & drain.
- Plate asparagus in a group, top with poached egg, gently slit the egg to release the soft yolk when serving.
- Finish with freshly grated lemon zest, squeeze of lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil, Pecorino cheese, salt and pepper.