Hearty Asparagus Soup
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or frozen Ontario asparagus with ends removed
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup half and half cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried tarragon leaves optional
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg optional
- ½ cup dry white wine optional
- Wash and trim asparagus spears and cut into 1” pieces. Cook in boiling water or steam tips until tender. Set aside.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan, and sauté onion 5 minutes until golden.
- Stir in flour. Add chicken stock, salt, pepper, tarragon and nutmeg.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens, add wine and cooked asparagus pieces. Simmer covered for 10 minutes.
- Puree in batches in blender and return to saucepan. Stir in cream.
- Reheat and serve.
- (Optional: cook an extra ½ lb of asparagus pieces, set aside and stir into soup before serving)